Houdini Resources - Introduction
Updated on Sept 3 2017
Fall Quarter 2017 we will be using version 16.0.tba. In order to avoid issues with your files and the renderfarm you are strongly advised to use the same version.
Not able to write to the license file on Windows? run
Houdini as administrator (right click on the icon to
select this option). You can set this to be the default by right
clicking, going to properties, advanced and checking run as
HISTORY: Houdini is a software package produced by Side
Effects Software. Side Effects has been in business since 1987
and is a Canadian company based in Toronto with an LA office in
Santa Monica. Their core technology is procedural techniques and
their software has been used in over 300 films. They have also
been twice awarded an Academy Award for Scientific and Technical
Achievement. Houdini is their flagship product (very early
versions called prism).
VERSION HISTORY OF SOME MAJOR CHANGES OF NOTE:
Whats New in Houdini 16
- Please note - the mantra surface shader is still available, just not in the material palette. (forum post here)
- Old copy node = copy stamp node
- mat is now the shop interface for the material palette shaders (and where you can tab create a "classic shader" (previously mantra surface shader)
- also note that there is a checkbox on the shaders to use packed color
- RBD static object is now under the
- Camera look-at is a hidden parameter - you may retreive it or use the new constraints
What's new in Houdini 15 (intro at SIGGRAPH 2015, released mid Oct) in general, including crowds, in renderositymagazine
Also, Houdini to Arnold (HtoA) and Houdini Indie were introduced at SIGGRAPH 2014.
NEW in 126.96.36.199 (Winter/Spring 2016 version) Lava, Crowds,
Animation tools, RIS support, much more!
NEW in 14.0.361 (Fall 2015 only version - sand solver! start of crowd tools, excellent interface changes, animation improvements!)
NEW IN 13.0.582 (Winter/Spring 2015 version - H14 will be released Jan 15th, 2015)
NEW IN 13.0.476 (Fall 2014 version)
NEW IN 13.0.237 (Spring 2014 Version)