Posted on Jan 18 2016
Updated Sept 17 2017
Click here for Crowd Resources
Click here for Height Fields
Click here for Material Style Sheets
There are some excellent tutorials out there as well as some recent masterclasses:
by Cameron White - SIGGRAPH 2017 HIVE
- Masterclass | Crowds in Houdini 15.5
- Houdini 15 Masterclass | Crowds (Feb 2016)
- as well as assorted small snippets from previous versions at http://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/category/crowds/
SCAD Student Work:
- Beyond the Track and Beyond the Track Breakdown (Spring 2017) Jonah Laird, Ben Martin, Ian Matta et al.
- Jinguang Huang - Castle Siege Battle
- Jonah Laird/Ali Rizvi for Michael Rhima's Shango
- Stadium Crowd Tool in Houdini with Key-Frameable Motion Controls by Mei-Chieh Chen (August 2013)
Here are my instructions for a very basic test to get you started (pdf) and with pictures. More coming soon.
Houdini 14/15 saw the introduction of crowds and now in H16 we have terrain adaption, fuzzy logic ... let's explore!
TIP: importing mocap fbx files into Houdini
The ability to easily import motion capture data into the pipeline is appealing.
- Setting up a Crowd Simulation in the
- What's new in H16 and in H15
- Path tools with Houdini Crowds
- Height fields for Crowds
- Also related
Aside - interesting but less useful: Based on the video by "Atom" the following document outlines the steps for importing bvh data into Houdini should you ever need to do this. However this is a step in our experiments we found unnecessary as you can simply import an fbx with motion capture data. It is included only for interest.
- video by "Atom"
corresponding pdf summary
- NOTE: bvh files can be converted into the required cmd/bclip
format using mcbiovision which comes with Houdini's bin.
cmd (bones) bclip (corresponding animation)